Aug 12, 2022  
2020-2021 Academic Catalog 
2020-2021 Academic Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Grade Changes

In order to maintain consistent university-wide standards, grade changes are permitted only under special circumstances. Once a student’s final course grade has been officially recorded by the Registrar, the grade may be changed only under the following conditions:

  1. If a new grade is determined through the official grade appeal process and is submitted by the instructor or by the Graduate Committee.
  2. If a grade of “Incomplete” or “In Progress” is replaced in accordance with existing procedures specified in the University Catalog.
  3. If an error in computing or recording the grade has been verified by the instructor. It is the student’s responsibility to call the instructor’s attention to a possible grading error in a timely manner, typically during the semester following that in which the questioned grade was received. If twelve months have elapsed since the grade was issued, no grade change will be made.

Under special circumstances, if the faculty member is absent for an extended period or is no longer employed by the University, a Grade Change Form may be submitted by the appropriate Dean for consideration by the Graduate Curriculum Committee. Once a grade of “A” through “F” is recorded by the Registrar, it may not be changed based on work submitted or exams retaken after the completion of the course. In extreme cases of extenuating circumstances, the instructor may petition the Graduate Curriculum Committee to change a grade of “A” through “F” to an “Incomplete.” Such petitions must include documentation of the specific extenuating circumstances that apply. All grade changes (including incomplete grade to final grade) submitted to the Registrar’s Office must bear the signature of the appropriate Dean.